Thursday, January 15, 2009

And curtains on 2008

So here's quick wrap-up on the fanatstic last week of 2008 that I spent in Calcutta. Here are the things I did:
  • Ate my favourite Bong food time and time again..so on certain days I had luchi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also had Ilish Mach twice and chingri maach many many times.
  • Ate out twice, both times with Maa and Baba. First time was at this place called Orko's at City Centre..satisfactory food, and second was at Floatel on 1st Jan. Food was good, especially since I love continental, and secondly because it was on a refurbished steamer on the Ganga which was great fun..especially when Baba and Maa were really really happy to see the river and get some excellent river breeze. Took some lovely snaps too.
  • Had a joint B'day celebration of Maa and Fulmama on 2nd Jan at Golpark and it was so much fun!! Had lovely Kolkata biriyani (somehow I just don't seem to enjoy biriyani anywhere else in the country), and then they both cut a cake together (which was Kookie Jar, another thing I desperately miss in Delhi), which was followed by chinese dinner from Hatari (simple, no frills chinese at reasonable rates). Oh and we had a great time hearing about growing up stories from Shejomama, Fulmama, Tunumashi and Maa, the highpoint being the number of admirers these two sisters had. Both of them went blue in the face denying any attachment to any member of the opposite sex unrelated by blood.
  • Managed to catch Tintorettor Jishu. A was super-happy to know that his and Feluda's arrival timings in Kolkata have managed to click once more, and I was happy to simly wallow in nostalgia.
  • Went to Belur Math with A, Maa and Baba. Good place but just too crowded. Oh well, this is Kolkata that I am talking about.
  • Got a haircut (not happy with it though)
  • Took A shopping since Maa wanted to buy him jeans. Shopping with him is painless:he walks into a store, picks up a pair, tries it on, pays for it and comes out. I have never ever seen him suffer from the shopping anxities that I go through where I spend an hour to come back to exactly the same thing that I had rejected.
  • Bought two books (Premendra Mitra and Saradindu). The reason why I bought Premendra Mitra is that the book is a collection of his books that were turned into films, scripted by him, and I still can't get over my shivers of watching 'Chupi Chupi Ashe' and 'Hanabari' on DD 7.
  • Took Maa to CCD for the first time, hearing which Baba complained about how he had to go without coffee since we had gone without him.

All in all, an eventful week.

No comments: