Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cityscapes 2

Every time I see a white person on the road, I have this incredible urge to walk up to him and ask if he resents the ending of apartheid, of having to feel like an equal where he was earlier a king.

I saw a sign behind the loo in the office which said 'Please flush the toilet after use'. Now that sort of freaked me out, because I thought that it was only Indians who forgot to flush. This only strengthens my faith that we are all the same, from India to South Africa, and all countries in-between.

I have also realised that I have very unfashionable winter clothes. I somehow managed the winter in London, using borrowed clothes from Karrie, and in Delhi I pretended that I didnt exist everytime a woman in a swish winter-set walked past, but Johannesburg has me feeling very small and inadequately dressed.

1 comment:

mary mathew said...

babes...to witness racism you don't need to go to Jobrg...its all over the place in India...try watching one of the fairness cream ads on the home shopping networks...
A great piece!