Saturday, May 9, 2009

Blogging from Dubai

What is the feeling that Dubai airport evokes in me every time I step into it? Do I love it or hate it? Or am I simply indifferent? Am I impressed by the dazzling display of enormous wealth, the shiny duty-free shops beckoning with endless materialism, the gigantic structures that have created a city within an airport? Am I envious that I will never be of one of the multitudes who casually saunter into a perfume shop and pick up a few bottles without mentally calculating the cost into their local currencies? Or am I just disgusted by this blatant display of wealth, limited only to the privileged few belonging to this desert-island and elsewhere in the world, and created no doubt on exploitative structures put up in poorer parts of the world?
Like much else in my life, I am yet to make up my mind about the Dubai airport. Probably it reflects my general inability to come to a conclusion about many important decisions about my life.

2 comments:

Ashwadhy said...

Very interesting thought!

wanderingsofamallubong said...

hey...i just cudnt sleep the night i landed there...all that gold n glitter! ws just walking around dazedd...