Sunday, December 14, 2008

confessions

So the question that I am invariably asked by people these days is ' so how are you liking Delhi?' And frankly, when I look inside myself for an answer I draw a blank. It's strange but my mind remains blank when I think of the city..no emotions..
But I have a confession to make..the city's mall crowd makes me nervous..everyone's so fashionably turned up, in all the latest winter fashion, with matching boots and cardigans, that I end up like an absolute fashion reject walking down every evening in front of the N block market in my over-used brown salwar, black shawl, and scarf wound tightly around my head since I can't take too much of the cold wind that blows across my face. I look at women alighting out of their big silver cars, lovely tote bags on shoulder, a cell pressed tightly to one ear, not even a wisp of that shiny jet black hair out of place, and confidently striding across to the innumerable shops and watering holes that dot N market..and I am once again missing my Cal crowd, with their fashion-may-not-care attitude that mixes and matches anything under the sun, with their loud chatter, and in that moment I know that I don't belong here

No comments: